As some of you may recall, part of this blog winner weekend included an experiment with using a travel agent, something I hadn’t done before. In Part I and Part II we covered the initial meeting and the planning of our trip to Jamaica. I thought I might also share with you my thoughts about the whole process now, as we have completed our adventure.
The things I liked about using a travel agent were:
- She helped us find an alternative to a cruise for our crazy schedules
- We didn’t have to bother with transportation or exit tax hassles as they were both included in our package
- It was nice to have someone answer questions without a foreign phone call charge to the resort
- Discount codes!
The things I didn’t like:
- I really had no idea what the resort would be like – I was pleasantly surprised that it was nice, clean and on the beach – but it was still weird to have someone pick something like this for me
- I really enjoy checking on prices and figuring things out, but I didn’t get to do any of that
- It was a very impulsive transaction – I am not sure how long it is supposed to take from start to finish but booking this in about 4 hours total, planning everything to paying, seemed a little crazy
Overall, I think it was a good experience but I am not sure I would do it again, except for maybe some international group plane tickets. There is definitely a certain type of traveler who would benefit from this way of booking a vacation. So, if you like some help, take it, it’s free!