I was talking to a very nice woman in the admissions department of the Executive MBA program at UMKC this morning. We were talking about the program there and how it would be a good fit for me and my future career goals, etc. She then asked me if I had ever heard of an organization that she knew would interest me (based on our conversation) and I said that I had heard of it and had been trying to reach them as I had been reading a lot about their work and wanted to know more. This international non-profit is amazing and it’s headquartered here in Kansas City.
I had talked to someone else recently who advised me that if I ever wanted to get serious about working internationally that I needed to move to NYC, D.C. or San Francisco. As a military brat, I have always wanted to live in the same house for a long time – or forever and leave in a body bag, as I told one Realtor who inquired how soon we might like to sell, maybe a little extreme, but you get the idea. Not easily discouraged, I continue to look for ways to pursue this dream.
Back to this morning, the woman from UMKC not only talked to me about this organization but offered to set up a lunch with a woman that she knows that works there and e-mailed me some dates later in the day. So great! I was feeling very fortunate to have had the conversation and I feel very blessed to have opportunities like this in my life. Maybe I am getting old and sentimental, but as I reflect on all the things to come this year I am really, really excited.
For me 2011 includes the following:
- Celebrating 10 years of marriage to my best friend in July. (And going to a place I’ve wanted to take him for the past 10 years!)
- Going back to Africa in February.
- Attending SXSW Interactive in Austin, TX in March.
- Spending a week in Grand Lake Stream, Maine with my parents, Brian’s parents and assorted other friends and family in July.
- (tentative) Starting grad school in August, details of what and where located in this post.
- Embracing my new role as Vice President of Affiliate Operations at work, which happened January 1st.
- Attending a week of intense, strategic leadership fun at the Center for Creative Leadership in Colorado in Jan/Feb.
- Putting on a special fundraiser for Liberia with some great friends/artists from Rochester in the fall. Details to come and volunteers needed!
- My second blog reader contest – lots of possible ideas in my head at the moment – so keep following along.
- And much more!
P.S. I didn’t name the organization discussed above by name, as to avoid having this post appear on their RSS feed and have them think I am some kind of crazy stalker.
P.P.S. Check out what is going on in the Cote d’Ivoire and a little about Liberia through Charity: water’s blog post here.