When I moved to Lee’s Summit, Missouri 22 years ago, both my taste in cocktails and the places to choose from were limited. Luckily, both of these things have evolved with time. As Kansas City has grown, so has its suburbs, of which Lee’s Summit is one. Located just 25 minutes south of the city, Lee’s Summit is home to roughly 100,000 people. My husband grew up here, and we moved back shortly after graduating from college. It’s the kind of place people raise families and have yards. I’ve grown to love it. Best of all, the city has finally evolved enough to attract places for a decent drink. Here are my favorite bars in Lee’s Summit that are worth checking out.
1. The W
- Address: 6 1/2 3rd Street
- Hours: Thursday, 6pm-close | Friday-Saturday, 5pm-close | Closed Sunday-Wednesday
- Text 816-287-0000 for reservations
Tucked away on Downtown Lee’s Summit’s 3rd Street, you’ll find The W through an unmarked, wooden door and up a flight of stairs. This dimly lit, cozy cocktail lounge has been a favorite amongst locals for 8 years. Their seasonal menu changes bring new in flavors constantly. But don’t worry, fans of the original Smoked Vanilla, you will still find that on the menu. They serve incredible cocktails that feature unique spirits and ingredients, including a menu of tropical drinks. Just ring the doorbell to get in. While there’s no password needed, reservations are highly recommended.
The drinks pictured are:
- Action Bronson: Bronson’s Tropical Punch, Clairin Casamir, coconut cream, Jarritos Guava, Native Hemp Co. CBD gummy
- Moon Flowers: Una Vida reposado, Cynar, Amaro Sibona, Blanc Vermouth, Elderflower, orange flower water
- Butter-Scotched: New Roff Strother District #3 Single Barrel, Highland malt, butterscotch, saline, umami, smoke
- Address: 25 Southeast 3rd Street
- Hours: Tuesday-Wednesday, 4pm-9pm | Thursday 1pm-9pm | Friday-Saturday, 1pm-11pm | Sunday-Monday, Closed
If you enjoy classic cocktails, historic nostalgia, and good vibes, Libations & Co is the place for you. Opening first as a cocktail store that served drinks, Libations has aged like a fine barrel of whiskey. It also moved next door from its original space, gaining a second story. Upstairs you’ll now find a jazz club named after the date of the building’s original construction. The 1909 Club is one of the newest bars in Lee’s Summit, Missouri. They serve an edited version of the menu you’ll find downstairs at Libations & Co. Check out their webpage for reservations and tickets to upcoming live shows.
The pictured drinks are:
- Revolver: St. George Nola Coffee liqueur, Redwood Empire bourbon, Rhum Sirop, Regan’s orange bitters, orange
- Last Word: J. Rieger Midwestern gin, Dolin Genepy liqueur, Luxardo, lime juice, and a cherry.
- Address: 123 Southeast 3rd Street
- Hours: Monday-Thursday, 11am-10pm | Friday, 11am-11pm | Saturday, 10am-11pm | Sunday, 10am-10pm
Located in Arnold Hall, Third Street Social opened in Downtown Lee’s Summit in 2016. (A second location of the same name opened in Kansas City in 2021.) The original building was built in 1946 and served in many capacities. Most notably, former President Harry S. Truman announced his candidacy for judge on the steps. Third Street was one of the first establishments to make me think that bars in Lee’s Summit could actually be viable. Their Truman Old Fashioned features Buffalo Trace Bourbon, Dry Curacao, Sugar, Angostura Bitters, House-Brandied Cherries. In addition to some solid cocktails, you’ll also find a great selection of beers on tap and delicious food. Save room for dessert!
- Address: 940 Northwest Pryor Road #M
- Hours: Open 7 days a week for Lunch and Dinner, Brunch is served on Saturday and Sunday
The only place on this list of bars in Lee’s Summit that isn’t located downtown is Roots Seasonal Cuisine. If you haven’t been yet, you need to check it out. Their food is really good and I was surprised by how delicious their drinks are. Although, I heard about this place when I was attending a cocktail conference, so I should’ve known it would be good. I enjoyed the 1862 which is made with Del Maguey Vida (mezcal), Lillet, grapefruit, lime, honey, and club soda. They have a nice bar you can sit at, or you can enjoy your drinks and food in the dining space.
- Address: 219 Southeast Main Street
- Hours: Monday-Tuesday, 3pm-10pm | Wednesday-Thursday, 11am-10pm | Friday-Saturday, 11am-11pm | Closed Sunday
Calaveras is the newest Mexican restaurant to open in Lee’s Summit (we have quite a few already). Luckily, they serve up upscale and authentic food that is less cheese sauce and more cotija cheese. They also have a nice bar program. The most popular drink is probably the Oaxacan Nights, as evidenced by it not always being available. It’s made with El Velo reposado, Banhez Espidin-Barril, Nixta, agave, blue corn, and Amargo Angostura. They also serve classic cocktails and a variety of riffs on Mexican and Cuban cocktails.
And there are five great bars in Lee’s Summit to try out. Let me know if you’ve been or other places you love. Cheers!